By John, FancyDiamonds.net
A ring, a ring is but a wondrous thing.
The good news is that my attempts at poetry will begin and end with the above sentence. The bad news is that the sentence is not always correct. Yes there are some amazing rings out there but for the most it’s just the same old designs rehashed in a slightly different way.
If you want to stand out from the crowd though and be a little bit different, the following 10 unique ring ideas may whet your appetite and provide you with some inspiration as to how to do things a little bit differently:
1. Triangular Diamonds – how often can you say that you have seen a triangular diamond in a ring? Well, I’m waiting…The fact is that once you take out the standard shapes of round, princess, emerald, marquise, oval, heart, and cushion, you don’t really see much else.
2. Natural Fancy Color Diamonds – unless you have been on another planet the last few years, you would be aware of the fact that fancy colored diamonds are the new “must have” diamond for celebrities and the wealthy. Engagement rings with fancy yellow diamonds and fancy pink diamonds have graced the fingers of J-Lo and Kelly Clarkson to name but two.
However, there are other colors such as blue, green, champagne, chameleon, orange, gray, and the list goes on with more buyer friendly prices. Natural fancy color diamonds are about 10,000 times rarer than colorless diamonds which means they are not only beautiful but they are also unique.
3. Doing it in the Raw – how about a diamond ring with a diamond that has not been cut and polished? The look is different, the feel is different, and the mystery of not knowing what the stone really contains is both seductive and alluring.
4. Amazing Shapes – rings which are not set in a traditional round shape are off-beat and garner interest. For example, a ring in the shape of a snake coiled around your finger is something that you do not see every day. Combine colored diamonds in the design of the snake and you have a very cool and classy fashion statement.
5. Art Nouveau/Deco – most popular been the years 1890-1910, art nouveau (new art) never really went out of style and probably never will. Followed by art deco, a more modern take on the art nouveau theme, both these artistic movements designed rings that were “new” when first created and still remain “new” today.
6. Why Diamonds? – we can thank DeBeers for some great marketing but why is it that when we think of rings, especially engagement rings, we almost automatically think of diamonds? There are other gemstones such as sapphires, rubies, emeralds, and pearls which are magnificent and stand out from the “standard” diamond ring.
7. Heavy Metal – and whilst eschewing diamonds, why don’t we go one step further and consider a ring without stones at all? Gold, whether it be yellow, white, rose, or pink; platinum, and palladium are all beautiful metals when used by themselves or combined. The trick to making a unique ring with these metals is the design and the craftsmanship.
8. Stacked (Stacking) Rings – when many rings in the guise of one ring leaves you and others confounded as to how these types of rings are created is what I call unique. And the beauty is that you can just keeping stacking.
9. Tattoo You – definitely not for everyone but if you are a little bit wild or perhaps tend to lose things, how about having a ring tattooed on your finger. Even though Pamela Anderson may have started the trend a number of years ago, a tattoo ring is always unique.
10. Back in Black – technically falling under the umbrella of colored diamonds, fancy black diamonds are just so hot at the moment that they bare their own entry. Celebs are going crazy for these stones and when Mr. Big proposed to Carrie in Sex and the City, what color was the diamond in the ring. Need I say more?
Which of the 10 unique ideas listed above is your favorite? Tell us in the comment section below.