Planning a bachelor party weekend in the party capital of the East Coast? Great choice! It may come as a surprise to some guys, but Atlantic City has a lot more to offer than beauty pageants and bros sporting Jersey Shore haircuts. However, if you’re like I was before my first trip there, you probably have no clue what to realistically expect from the AC. Luckily for you, I recently got the chance to fly out there for a guys weekend and see first-hand what the “Vegas of the East” is all about. We went full-throttle (or as close to full-throttle as three guys in their early thirties can) for a long weekend and lived to tell about it In between beers and losing hands of Blackjack, I managed to jot down my top 10 tips for throwing a successful bachelor party in Atlantic City. If you follow these guidelines, you’re in for a hell of a time:
1. If you’ve got guests flying in, it’s worth noting that the closest major airport is 60 miles away in Philadelphia. The ride to AC will take around an hour, so paying for transportation will most likely be necessary. If you’ve got a bigger group, splitting a limo is the way to go (don’t forget to slip the driver an extra $10 and have him swing by a liquor store on the way). The cheaper alternative is taking the train at $10 each way. If you opt for the latter, just follow the signs at the airport for the free shuttle to the train station.
2. The Borgata is hands down the best hotel in AC. It has the look and feel of a gargantuan Las Vegas resort and boasts a Bobby Flay Steak restaurant, multiple nightclubs, a 2,400-seat theater and the best poker room in the city. Even if you’re not staying there, it’s worth a visit for devoting a portion of your trip to dining, drinking or gambling.
3. Gamblers on a budget shouldn’t worry as cheap table games are easy to find. Blackjack is my game and I was able to find $5 to $10 tables 24/7, even at the larger casinos. Word to the wise: Try not to let the dealer or pit boss see how drunk you are, and definitely don’t repeatedly shout F-bombs while playing. Security is razor-sharp in AC and won’t hesitate to throw you and your buddies out of the casino for the remainder of your stay.
4. Contrary to what you’ve seen on Boardwalk Empire, boozing is alive, well and easily accessible in Atlantic City. The best dive bar is Chelsea Pub, while the top destination for craft beer lovers is Tun Tavern. Want to catch the game? A Dam Good Sports Bar is the only place to watch a game while drinking a 40.
5. Don’t wake up before 11 am. You may miss the breakfast buffet, but the extra rest you’ll get is invaluable during a weekend of hard partying. Also be sure to chug a bottle of water before passing out and again when you wake up.
6. Comedy shows are where it’s at. Given its proximity to New York, it should come as no surprise that Atlantic City brings in top-notch comedians every weekend. Jerry Seinfeld, Ray Romano and Kevin James are just a few of the names to have graced the city’s stages in 2013. If you decide to attend a comedy show, breaking the seal beforehand is a huge no-no. Walking out for the restroom in the middle of a set is a virtual guarantee you’ll be heckled.
7. The Steel Pier and Monopoly street signs won’t be worth much to you other than photo-ops. But because it’s a bachelor party, cameras shouldn’t even be present.
8. For my money, The Tropicana’s Fin is the best restaurant in town. Make a reservation for an oceanfront table and be sure to order the blue crab macaroni and cheese as an appetizer.
9. Remember the words “Pizza King“. They will be your best friends at 3 am.
10. Unfortunately, you’ll have to begrudgingly accept that the trip must eventually come to an end. Before doing so, stop off at Brittany Cafe to soak up the remaining booze in your system with the best pancakes in town. It’s time to head home, fellas. If you listened to my advice, you’ll have done well.
Connect with post author Chris Easter on Google+, Pinterest and Facebook.
Been to Atlantic City? Share your thoughts on the city’s best bachelor party destinations in the comment section below.