Plan the Perfect Adventure Honeymoon
Adventure honeymoons are becoming increasingly popular with active couples that find romance in more places than beaches and fancy restaurants. For these couples, the connection that comes with facing a challenge together or reflecting on a day filled with exciting new experiences is unmatched. If you and your fiancé prefer a weekend of camping or hiking to a movie marathon, then an adventurous honeymoon is an alternative well worth considering. Here are 4 tips to planning the perfect adventure honeymoon:
1. Strike Your Perfect Balance: The key to planning the perfect adventure honeymoon is to assess what you and your fiancé want to do and experience. Communication is crucial so you both get your needs met without any misunderstandings. What combination of adventure and pampering do you prefer? What mix of activities would you like to do each day? There are a variety of ways to integrate active and relaxing activities into any honeymoon destination. For example, you can go scuba diving and parasailing during the day and enjoy a couple’s massage in the evening. If you’re at a mountain resort, you can go hiking and zip lining during the day and soak in a hot tub or do spa treatments at night.
2. Seek the Road Less Traveled: Once you have your short list of adventure honeymoon destinations in mind, use alternative travel resources to uncover potential activities. Most traditional honeymoon planning magazines and resources are filled with lavish, all-inclusive resorts and package deals. Consider ditching the wedding industry magazines for ones like National Geographic Adventure, Backpacker and Outside Magazine. They are full of trip ideas and generally include suggestions to accommodate wide range of budgets. Other great resources include alternative travel guides like Lonely Planet, Rick Steves’ and Let’s Go. Consider staying in modestly priced hotels for part of the trip and use the money you save to splurge on lavish accommodations for the remainder. In most cases, avoiding traditional, all-inclusive resorts will allow you to stretch your honeymoon budget even further.
3. Get Inspired! Here are 10 of our favorite adventure honeymoon destinations:
• Australia: Dive or snorkel the Great Barrier Reef. Take a road trip through the Outback.
• Colorado: Hike, mountain bike or camp in the rugged Rocky Mountains.
• Costa Rica: Go reef diving and deep-sea fishing on the Caribbean side, or visit the Pacific side for world-class beaches and surf.
• Hawaii: Take a helicopter tour over volcanoes national park, hike to hidden waterfalls, and relax on black sand beaches.
• Italy: Bike through Tuscany and enjoy the hill-towns, food, wine, and culture.
• Mexico: Explore the cavernous Cenotes and discover towering Mayan ruins.
• New Zealand: Go bungee jumping, cave rafting or glacier trekking on the south island.
• Peru: Hike the Inca Trail up to the awe-inspiring ruins of Machu Picchu.
• Switzerland: Small, mountain villages in the Swiss Alps are an ideal base camp for skiing, climbing and hiking.
• Tanzania: Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro then rest up at a luxurious safari lodge in the Serengeti.
4. Set-Up Your Honeymoon Registry: A honeymoon registry can make planning the perfect adventure honeymoon so much easier. If you’re like most engaged couples, you don’t need more dinnerware or pots and pans to outfit your home. You probably have most of what you need already, so why register for more stuff when you can register for the honeymoon of your dreams? Honeymoon registries may not be traditional, but neither is a vacation itinerary that includes tandem paragliding! When you set up a honeymoon registry, your wedding guests and loved ones can contribute towards the amazing adventures you’ll have on your honeymoon. Whether you want to learn to scuba dive, ski, or see the Leaning Tower of Pisa, a honeymoon registry lets your guests in on exactly what you would like to do on your honeymoon and make it easy for them to contribute to memories that will last a lifetime!
So, even if you’re having a white-dress, tall-cake, traditional wedding, don’t be afraid to break the mold with a honeymoon adventure!
About the Author: Andrew Marino is the CEO of HoneymoonPixie.com, an industry leader in providing honeymoon gift registries for engaged couples. Couples create their free honeymoon registry website and receive honeymoon planning advice and travel tips. Andrew also serves as a contributing Senior Travel Editor.
The comment section is open. Tell us about your ideal adventure honeymoon. Where would you go and what activities would you do?
Tags: Sponsored Post