Today, we are honored to have Michael Andrews guest blogging on the top 5 men’s wedding attire trends for 2011. Michael is Founder and CEO of Michael Andrews Bespoke – New York’s Designer Custom Tailor that crafts high-end yet affordable menswear with a modern flair.
The 2011 Groom: Coming Soon to a Wedding Near You
Michael Andrew Bespoke’s Top Five Groom’s Attire Trends for 2011
1. For formal weddings, we are seeing a real trend toward slim fit one-button midnight blue tuxedo with peak lapels. Dark blue looks richer under evening light and provides a better contrast against the black satin on the lapels. When the jacket is cut trim through the waist, the peak lapels help accentuate the shoulders for a flattering silhouette.
2. We are also seeing a strong trend toward less formal weddings. Roughly half of the wedding outfits we make are suits instead of tuxedos. For destination weddings and daytime summer weddings, we see a lot of cotton and linen suits. For evening weddings, we are doing a lot of charcoal grey and midnight blue suits.
3. We are also seeing very few tuxedo shirts with traditional pleats or a bib front. Most guys are opting for a more simple, updated style. The most popular is a classic spread collar shirt made in a rich piqué fabric that gives the shirt a more luxurious and formal appearance. The hidden button front offers a clean, formal look and eliminates the need for tuxedo studs.
4. A return to the bowtie. For the past few years, long black ties had eclipsed the traditional bowtie in popularity, but we have seen the bowtie come back strong this year. Opt for an oversized velvet bowtie to make a statement.
5. The perfect groomsman gift: matching custom shirts and ties. It gives a degree of consistency to the wedding party while still being personalized to each groomsman.
To learn more about Michal Andrews Bespoke and to browse their collection of suits, dress shirts, overcoats and more – visit their website.
How do you feel about Michael’s picks for 2011 groom trends? Anything that you’d like to see on the list that isn’t? Let us know in the comments.